Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sunny Summer Pillow

I've been working on my bedroom for some time now and I recently decided that my bed needed a pop of color. You know as well as I do that a big ole flower will do just the trick.
I love how it turned out and it just brightens the room up. It's so summery & fresh.


First I drew out my pattern on a piece of newspaper and cut it out.


I used some nice wool felt in my favorite mustard color. I doubled it and cut two to save some time.

Now this next part makes the petals stand up all 3 dimensional and such. What you do is fold your petal in half and stitch about a half an inch from the folded edge - I stitched varying lengths from 1 inch to 11/2 inches up the petal. You could also use glue if you don't sew or just don't want to.


This is what it looks like when your done. They are all different - just like a real flower.


Do the same to the second set of petals and then layer them on top of each other.
Looks like a sunflower don't it!


With my pinking shears I cut out two circles one just slightly smaller than the other. The I proceeded to cut strips into them and I even took some little slivers out of the tops of some of them. I also like to take the edge off of each one to really seperate them from each other.


Now layer that on top of the petals .

I pinned it down real well to my pillow top fabric & then I just sewed with my machine in a matching yellow thread up the center of the petals to hold them to the pillow top. I started sewing right after the pucker and up just a little ways but don't go all the way to the top.




Then I took some turquoise floss and made french knots in the center of the flower. I used all the strands of floss - I think there are eight strands in a piece of floss. Then I went a little crazy and did a few stitches up each petal too.


Now you know how to do this but I took a picture and so I must include it. Sew the back to the front - right sides together. Make sure and leave one side open to insert the pillow form.
There you have it. You're done! I'd love to see pictures if you make one.

Big Big LOVE,
I'm still looking for donations for CURE JM. Please just look into your heart and come up with one thing you could donate. It only takes a little bit of your time and it could change someones life. Next week I will be showing you what I've made to donate.

giveaways

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

14 comments:

  1. Such a cute sunflower pillow. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! It looks great on your bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen thats such a great pilla. Love its sunny disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you from Tatertots! What a pretty summery pillow!

    I do a Monthly Get Crafty round up (focus on kids craft, but anything welcome), i post a photo, discription and of course link to "How to". Would be great to include your pillow as this month is "Summer" theme!

    What do you think? here is last month's ManMade Get Crafty http://redtedart.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/get-crafty-july-2010-made-by-man/

    Maggy
    PS will assume you are "Ok" with it, unless I hear from you ;-) send me an email either way to info (at) redtedart (dot) com or leave a comment on Manmade... oh and do grab a button ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how sunny & festive your pillow is!! it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute pillow...you did such a good job. Great tutorial, too!!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my little owlie give-a-way!! Hope your Sunday is blessed....In His Love....Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pillow!

    Thanks for your sweet words about my Lola!

    Great blog too! I LOVE it! From the moment I read your header, I knew I was going to be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can smell the Sunflower perfume you used to wear just looking at that pillow! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! It's on my to-make list. Thanks for the great tute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahahaha, I had to laugh at the Sunflower perfume comment, oh how funny. I remember those days. Yes Jen thing pillow is so adorable. You are a very talented, lovely lady and I am blessed to call you my friend. It was so good to see and laugh with you the other day. I want more. I hope my kids didn't traumatize your kiddos too much. I could learn a lot from you on parenting. Love ya bunches. And I keep checking back to see what you will be donating to Cure JM. I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, I really should read what I write before I hit post. That was suppose to say, Yes Jen "this" not thing. Oh man. I sound like a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!! I LOVE IT!!! I Love writing tutorials too:)

    http://girlinair.blogspot.com/2011/02/snowflake-hat-and-scarf-free-pattern.html

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete